Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Disappearing 4-Patch

 
Hi!  If you enjoy this blog, please become
a follower, I need to know if anyone is out
there using these tutorials!  And pop on over
to the American Homestead blog and see what
is going on in my life.  All the best!  ~ Ellen
 

Since the Disappearing 9-patch tutorial
has been so popular, here is another option
using a 4-patch block.


Fabric Requirements:

Fabric A: White
2 - 7 1/2" squares

Fabric B: Pink
1 - 7 1/2" square

Fabric C: Green
1 - 7 1/2" square


Layout squares as shown and sew together
in 2 rows, press seams to the dark fabrics.


Sew rows together and press seam open
to reduce bulk.


Make a cut 5 1/2" in from each side of the block.


Now this is where the magic happens.
Our 4-patch has now become a 9-patch.
Take the left center unit and swap it with
the right center unit, then take the top
center unit and swap it with the bottom
center unit. Then sew together in 3 rows.
Press seams in rows 1 and 3 to the inside
and seams in row 2 to the outside.


Sew rows together and press seams
to the outside.


I made the original squares large enough
so you have plenty of room to square up
at the end. With sewing, cutting and sewing
back together, you want your finished block
to be as accurate as possible. Using a 12 1/2"
square ruler, place the 6 1/4" lines on the
center seams, both vertical & horizontal and
trim top and right sides. Now turn the block
and square 2 remaining sides to 12 1/2".


Quick & easy!


This is how it looks if you put the
blocks side by side.


By rotating every other block
you have this design.


I think it would look great as
a scrappy quilt.

19 comments:

  1. I admire your website background and appreciate the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this clear tutorial. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning to do this for my niece who is due in March. I have pretty pinks and whites picked out for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely tutorial -- great photos and very clear instructions! You are a good teacher! Thank you very much for sharing. I love this pattern! :) Dianne B. in England

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made many variations of this pattern and just love the results every time. So much fun with it. Aggie from MA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your depiction of the quilt in bold colors. It really allows me to visualize the pattern better. thanks a lot! v

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great making on for my nieces college graduation. Can't wait to get this one started and have another one for the other twin niece using a different pattern dash and churn. Thank you for the pattern go this just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several of the women in our Guild made Christmas quilts using this block. While the block is so simple, the quilts has lots of different personality. Based on how, or if, you turned the blocks. I just wish more instructions were as clear as yours. Thank YOU for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for the lovely comments! Please send photos of finished quilts and I would be happy to post them here or on the American Homestead page on facebook.
      Happy Holidays everyone!

      Delete
  9. Very good instructions... enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was given a bag of 4 blocks and had pined them together and remembered seeing a disappearing 4 block somewhere. I was thinking and maybe I would try it if I could find directions. Here I am and am going to cut my blocks apart and try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter sent this link to me...wants a Throw in this Pattern! lol Thank you soooo much for the time you put into making this Tutorial!!

    Special Blessings! & Ohio Hugs too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Pattern, Gotta try it for our Children's quilt group!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou , I had seen a pattern but forgot to get instructions and yours are great as I read them. Hope they work for me as I put them into a project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you SO much for sharing! I LOVE the disappearing 9 patch, and am looking for fun, similar patterns. This one is a definite for a future quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cut my original squares 8" and then when I sew the completed blocks together I get a top that measures just under 60" in width. (four blocks across). I then can use a fleece for the backing and eliminate the batting. Makes for a lovely cuddly quilt for a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks really interesting and fun, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do I make a smaller square, say 6" to start with?

    ReplyDelete